HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"G. Alcock" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Mar 2003 00:21:48 -0800
Pat:

Well, I was wrong on the date and the gender. The quote I recalled was
by Melvin Kranzberg, Professor of History of Technology, Georgia
Institute of Technology (Atlanta, Georgia, USA). Here's his whole statement:

28  "Some people might deny that I am a scientist, for my doctoral
degree was in history. But when I began teaching, I discovered that my
historical training had slighted the development of science and
technology. World War II unwittingly provided me with a
science/technology background. Stating that my Harvard Ph.D. proved that
I was 'educatable,' the Signal Corps sent me through an accelerated
electrical engineering course.
    "My venture into science and engineering enlarged my historical
perspective. That resulted in my founding a new scholarly field (the
history of technology) and involved me in service to NSF, NRC, AAAS,
NASA, and, of course, Sigma Xi.
    "Those who distinguish between the 'hard' and 'soft' sciences claim
that social science is not truly scientific. My research, however,
indicates that the real distinction is between the 'hard' sciences
(physics, chemistry, et al.) and the 'difficult' sciences, represented
by the social sciences, including my own history of technology!"

Kranzberg, Melvin
1988   [Statement 28, pp. 454-455.] Seventy-five Reasons to Become a
Scientist. _American Scientist_ 76(5):450-463.

[There is a sort of subtitle in the table of contents: "American
Scientist celebrates its seventy-fifth anniversary." American Scientist
is published by Sigma Xi, The Scientific Research Society.]

Maybe he discusses this topic more fully elsewhere?

Gwyn Alcock