From:
Scott Morrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Oct 2003 17:08:50 -0500
Gurdjieff/Hartmann: Return From a Journey (Vol. 11)
Alain Kremski, piano
Nayve V4952

2 stars

Simpleton Music

George Gurdjieff (1877-1949) was a Russian-born 'seer and mystic who
promised that his guidance, known as "the Work," would bring his students
a new enlightenment, a greater level of consciousness, a deeper sense
of what it means to be in the world.' He apparently had intense personal
charisma and attracted to himsself a circle of people who were deeply
influenced by his cryptic teachings.  He may, indeed, have be considered
one of the first of the New Age teachers with which our anti-scientific
age is now crowded.

He also reportedly collected Middle and Far Eastern folk music and often,
after a meal presiding over his disciples, he would plunk out melodies
on a small harmonium and one of his disciples, a trained musician named
Thomas de Hartmann (1885-1956), took down the melodies and then harmonized
them so they could played at the piano. This CD represents the 11th of
a 12 CD project in which all of Gurdjieff's music is being recorded by
French pianist Alain Kremski, a present-day follower of Gurdjieff's
teachings.

I had heard of his music years ago but had never heard any of it.
When I ran across this CD I was eager to hear what it was like.  On
the disc are 15 pieces, totaling 62 minutes.  Most are slow, most
have a tame middle-eastern-sounding melisma with a few cautious melodic
curlicues.  De Hartmann's harmonizations are squarely diatonic and his
piano arrangements feature mostly monotonous oompah left hand accompaniments.
Occasionally there are martial sounding chordal rhythms in the left
hand--a kind of Janissary music?--but usually the oompah returns in
short order.  Once in a while an odd meter will emerge, e.g.  5/8.

The melodic material is euphonious but undistinguished.  The harmonies
are undistinguished.  The accompaniments are rudimentary.  The overall
effect, especially if one is listening closely, is stultifying.  It is
possible that the music is intended as 'trance music,' and in my case
that certainly worked.  I found myself falling asleep repeatedly on both
occasions that I listened to it all the way through.  One has the sense
that simplicity is the goal here, rather like the intent of much of
Satie's music; what is missing, though, is Satie's self-aware irony, not
to speak of his harmonic creativity.  This music is clearly intended to
be serious, and thus it becomes pretentious.

In Kremski's defense, I will say that his playing is excellent and the
recorded sound is rich and full.

Unless you are a follower of Gurdjieff's teachings I'd advise you to
avoid this disc; I have not heard any of the others in the series and
almost certainly won't be seeking them out.

Scott Morrison

Review appears at amazon.com at
  http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000030JN/classicalnetA/