John Smyth <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 4 May 2003 17:12:43 -0700
I baaack.

Chris Mullins:

>There is an exposed horn solo near the start of the Dvorak, and the
>playing was frankly pathetic, in the classic sense.  I pitied the horn
>player.  He lost breath, was under the note - painful. I had my opera
>glasses, and I couldn't help but wonder - do orchestra players react
>when something like that happens?

No no no. You just never know when it might happen to you.  I remember
a Mahler 7th with the SFO last year where the tenor horn cracked all
over the place--the show goes on.  As a performer myself,  we're instructed
to move as little as possible *whatever* the circumstances.  This is one
of the reasons the classical musician is such an easy target for parody.

John Smyth
Sacramento, CA