From:
Christine Labroche <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Apr 2003 09:57:23 +0200
Bert Bailey wrote:

>As I mentioned in a January thread (2002 Musical 'Discoveries'), I
>recently gained exposure to a notable Turkish composer.  Ahmet Adnan
>Saygun (1907-1991): three symphonies, two piano concertos, a concerto
>da camera, and a viola concerto.  If I had to recommend a single work
>to add to anyone's collection, I'd frankly be stuck: every work is
>extremely good, IMO.

May I second all Bert has had to say about Saygun? Saygun certainly
deserves a place amongst the twentieth century greats.

He also wrote for the voice, and, amongst still available recordings,
you can find his fine oratorio "Yunus Emre" on Hungaroton, well-orchestrated,
well-performed, and beautifully sung. (Yunus Emre, c. 1238-c. 1320, was
a Sufi, humanist, mystic and poet). Also on Hungaroton, the warmth of
Isin Guyer's strong, resonant voice as she sings Saygun's Five Songs for
Mezzo-Soprano and Orchestra. Hikmet Simsek conducts the Budapest Symphony
Orchestra on both and the choir is the Hungarian Radio and Television
Chorus. (Hungaroton HCD 31077 and HCD 31483).

>A CD called 'Music for Strings from Turkey' has since come into my
>collection.  Composers include Cemal Resid Rey (1904-1985): Andante and
>Allegro for Violin and Strings (w.Suna Kan, violin);

HCD 31483 includes two works by Cemal Resid Rey - his symphonic poem
"Turkiye" and four short "Turkish Scenes".

>Ulvi Cemal Erkin
>(d.  1972), Sinfonietta;

The Anatolian String Quartet has recorded Ulvi Cemal Erkin's quartet and
Saygun's first on HCD 31521. Their name brings to mind Saygun's research
into the rhythmic and melodic structure of folk song. He began as a
travelling companion to Bartok when the latter was investigating Anatolian
folk song, and became an eminent ethnomusicologist in addition to all
his other qualities and skills.

>Northern Sinfonia
>of England/Griffiths.  (Koch/Schwann 3-1480-2)

Howard Griffiths and the Northern Sinfonia have also recorded Saygun's
first symphony and his Concerto da Camera - maybe more...  Saygun can
also be found on CPO and BMP (Bilkent). It's great that recordings are
becoming more easily available, but I would love to hear his music in
concert.

>Any others?

Only names I would like to know more about - Necil Kazim Akses, for
example... Anyone?

Regards,

Christine Labroche