From:
Scott Morrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Apr 2003 22:07:00 -0500
I participated in a performance of Bach's St. John Passion this evening
and have to say it was one of the most moving musical experiences I've
ever had.  First of all, everyone was 'on.' The orchestra was superb,
and the chorus was alert to every nuance of the conductor.  But further,
since it was sung in English (a conflation of the translations of Robert
Shaw/Alice Parker/Imogen Holst) the Passion story was very immediate.
By the time we got to the final big chorus and the last double chorale
I was practically in tears (and I'm an unbeliever) - not good when you're
in the chorus.  Then most of the lights were dimmed and we filed out
silently.

My god, what a powerful work this is.

Scott Morrison, still in awe