HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
georgejmyersjr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Nov 2002 17:38:11 -0500
I have been in a number of powder magazine's or "bomb proofs" I think some
are called. At the star shaped Fort McHenry, in Baltimore, MD's harbor there
is one and outside the fort on the mainland is others from the Civil War
era, then containing the Bowie Arms collection. With the NPS, we excavated a
kidney shaped latreen for officers, made of brick, that was in the shadow
the "bomb proof" which if I remember had two thick brick walls separated by
an airspace. Various cannon had been stored on top of the brick "road" and
had to be moved to conduct the test excavations there. (Aivazian, et al)
Interestingly, no features were excavated in regards to it to my knowledge.

However, recently, while working for Panamerican out of Buffalo, NY, I
happened to come across the recently dedicated historical interpretative
park made from the excavated remains of Fort Montgomery, just south of the
West Point Military Academy, on the west shore of the Hudson River. There is
an excellant "powder magazine" there depicted in very good cross section
drawings and part of a "walk around" with platforms overlooking the Bear
Mountain Bridge and the former site of a large battle between sea and land
troops of the American and British forces during the Revolutionary War.
Oddly, a very deep hole, in rock, is immediately adjacent to the powder
magazine and it is fenced off from the visitors. What purpose it may have
had still might be a question for archaeologists.

The site is maintained by the NY State Dept. of Parks and Recreation,
Bernadette Castro, in charge and I'm sure the SHPO might be able to help
with some of your questions.