From:
Rachael Barlow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Oct 2002 14:49:21 -0400
> Sears' The Breastfeeding Book, p. 75 says:
>
> "Studies show that 30 grams of a soy protein supplement a day can
> produce a 25 percent increase in the volume of a mother's milk."
>
> I wonder which studies, and have you found this to have any effect if
> mom says supply is low(ish)?
>
> Sanna-Mari, mom to Rasmus 3,5 yo & Miro 4,5 mo
> a mom-to-mom bf support person
> Finland, Scandinavia

One caution, if a mom has any history of cows milk allergy or if the baby
has a cows milk protein allergy, then I would not suggest this. A high
percentage of children allergic to cows milk protein develop a soy protein
allergy (25%-40% depending on where you read). Repeated exposures could
encourage the allergy to develop by further depleteing the nutrients that
are used to break down soy protein. (Some common nutrients are required to
break down both soy protein and cow protein.)

Rachael Barlow, LLLleader Westford, MA