From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Mar 2003 21:05:06 +0000
Michael Ponti made a number of recordings for Vox a few decades ago, and
I was very pleased to see the reissue of his 1973/74 Scriabin recordings
at a local store here in Albuquerque.

Of course, my intent was to acquire all the recordings, but lack of
thought and good eye-sight got in the way.  There was a 2-cd set from
Vox and a 5-cd set, so I bought the 5-cd set.  When I was walking in the
parking lot to my car, I was able to notice with sunlight that the 5-cd
set excluded the piano sonatas.  That had me thinking that the 2-cd set
had the piano sonatas, so I went back to the store and acquired that
also.  What was I thinking?  I should have known that 5 cd's couldn't
possibly hold all or most of the total Scriabin solo piano output.

Actually, I know what I was thinking about - the Verdi and Puccini works
for string quartet.  Although they might well be mediocre works given
greater currency due to the names of the composer, I need to get my hands
on a couple of specific versions which weren't at the local store - Verdi
String Quartet on Harmonia Mundi(coupled with Sibelius) and Puccini works
for string quartet on ASV.

Fortunately, Amazon.Com has both discs available from subsidiary sellers.
Whatever you do, don't buy direct from Amazon if you want your spouse
to know as little as possible about your buying frequency.  At our house,
direct sales come via UPS about 6PM, and my wife is always home at 6PM.
She's usually gone by 9PM, but that's another story.

Sorry for the rambling which I've been doing all day.  The 7 Ponti discs
cost about the price of 3 1/2 Naxos cd's.  Great price, and time will
tell if the performances are worthy.

Don Satz