From:
Pam Lacey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Sep 2002 08:39:23 +0000
What a shame we allow all this 'care'.  We have heard this many times here
(UK).  A hospital is to give 'care' for when people are ill or recovering
(OK - too simplistic!), so why in a 'natural' process (giving birth) do we
do SO much. Put it another way, mums have the babies there and then are in
for a few hours or days under 'observation/recovery', they have 'rest' i,e
they don't need to clean, cook, go to school etc. it is a time to recover
and come to terms with their 'new life' (in more ways than one).  So, lets
give them the rest and care that they need.  But, hold on, the babies do
they need nursing or care? they are not sick(most aren't).

Ideally we would like everything to go swimmingly and everyone to bf, but at
least lets try to aim for that.  To hopefully get to this aim, the hospitals
here do not have nurseries (except for sick babies or to care for babies of
sick mothers), so all babies room in, and if mum wants a sleep babies sleep
in bed with mums or are in 'clip on' cots (most hospitals).  People who want
to formula feed are told to bring their chosen formula to hospital (a hand
ful of hospitals) and are taught to make it up on a one to one basis, and
from then on make their own feeds.  This takes the 'contaminatio' issue away
from the hospital both in the preparation (because the mums had been taught)
and of the manufacturers of the formula (the mum chose it knowing the
possible risks).  Mum also gets to find out how to make the feeds sterilise
etc.etc. and can be under no misaprehension that formula feeding is easy!
she then feeds her own baby - so in this case who's going to have the
easiest time!  Of course these hospitals also carry 'emergency' formula
(shame they don't all have milk banks), because afterall a baby is a patient
and is 'entitled' to food a la NHS.  I'm only sorry this practice hasn't
spread yet to more units.  But having said that instead of bringing in their
own formula some units (and perhaps it's a better option), have a selection
of brands of 'powder' and the mum again choses her own and makes it  up.

Ideal world?? (who knows)

Pam
ABM BFC UK