From:
Dianne Veatch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Aug 2002 14:20:01 -0400
I am writing about at situation that I would like the respected opinion on of all the bright people on this list.  Since getting fired up at the ILCA conference and another seminar I went to I decided to try to make some changes where I work.

A few days ago I went to work early to go to a mandatory staff meeting which also included an in-service on infant abduction. When I got there the Enfamil rep was setting up her things to sponsor our in-service. I did not go in the room and went back when the meeting part of the hour was to be conducted. I then gathered up my nerve and decided to talk to the Ethics officer of the hospital about our "relationship" with the formula companies. The free gift bags, calendars, names badges, pizza parties, dinners, and formula sponsored mandatory meetings, and all the rest as I am sure that you are all familiar with.

Now the LC's are being called before OB administration team to get blasted. Although the meeting is in a couple of days, the phone conversation with one of the managers went: "How dare you, I am sick of you guys always stirring things up" , How dare you go over our heads". "We are not baby friendly nor will we ever be." The Ethics Officer gave them (managers) the letter I had written. I do not know what the tone of the conversation was between the Ethics O and the OB management. When I talked to him I really didn't get a good feel of how he felt about this situation.
I have worked in this facility for 17 years and have expressed my disappointment in these practices to various managers for all those years, although I did not have a meeting with them recently. I just decided this was enough, especially knowing "Lipil Day" was coming up, although I did not bring that up.

Thank You for letting me vent. Have you had experience with other hospitals reacting this way? Although I really don't think I can lose my job over this they can make my life miserable. Do you have any hints I can use in my defense? The term "baby friendly" doesn't go over very big. I find this very sad because it is the mothers and babies who lose out. I would ask to those reading this who live in my community to respect the privacy of this situation.