Date:
Tue, 24 Sep 2002 22:01:13 EDT
Jan Ellen comments on Diane's post --

> To expect a mom to feed 30-45 minutes at breast, pump for 15 more and
> then top off the baby each feeding for more than a few days is just too
> overwhelming for many new moms.

I agree with what's been posted, but I do like mom to put the baby to breast
-- if she's not too overwhelmed -- at each feeding for as long as baby is
nutritively sucking & swallowing....maybe that's only 2 minutes -- but
hopefully he's remembering where all that good stuff comes from.  I think
what we need to do is gently lay out the options for mom and let her choose.
Some moms like the idea of the SNS so that the feeding is all done at the
breast.  I like to keep the feed/supplement/pumping regime down to something
that is manageable for mom -- say a total of 30 to 40 minutes/feeding if
possible.  Of course, a lot of these moms don't like the SNS and won't use it
-- so that's fine.  Then we go with another plan.

I think the key is taking each mom as an individual and helping her find what
works for HER -- with the goal in mind of increasing supply, getting weight
on the baby, and getting the baby back to solely breastfeeding if possible.

The last two weeks have been awful -- I think historically, September is my
worst month.  I've had the most unusual cases -- and tonight just attended
the memorial service for one of my couples whose baby died at just over 3
days of age.  And I think I've seen more poor milk supplies and poorly
gaining babies, and babies who refuse to latch on and miserable sore nipples
and.....

Jan Barger, RN, MA, IBCLC -- Wheaton IL
Lactation Education Consultants
www.lactationeducationconsultants.com