Date:
Tue, 24 Sep 2002 19:51:05 -0400
I agree with Dianne about pumping to increase milk supply when the baby hasn't been able to. While the SNS can work for some mothers and babies, it doesn't help everyone. Some mothers find that it is too many things to do at the breast, some babies still don't latch well despite the added flow. They are frantic at the breast, keep pulling off, yank at the tube etc. My plan includes: feeds at the breast for as long as the baby is actively feeding, then supplement using a bottle ( the father can do this), while the mother pumps. This plan is both workable and it works. THe baby is kept well fed and vigorous, the supply is improved and then we work to improve the latch. The parents know that the supplements and the pumping are being used as a bridge toward breastfeeding. I love getting the calls a year later that the mother is still breastfeeding despite a less than perfect start.