From:
Margery Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Sep 2002 18:56:49 -0400
On Mon, 23 Sep 2002 10:19:15 -0700, Judy Ritchie <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I don't have the actual abstract, but I wonder what country these
>researchers were in.  I can hardly believe this.  It is inhumane
>to use rather than milk.  My 14 month daughter who got into a hot
>bathtub with both feet in tennis shoes had second degree burns.
>I breastfed her in the car all the way to emergency and every time the
>plastic surgeon debried her.  I bet it is the suckling that counts, so
>let it be nutritious.  Also I wonder if they set these kids up for
>ingesting wrong substances as life choices when it comes to pain.
>Judy Ritchie
>
>http://www.mercola.com/2002/sep/21/sugar.htm
>
>Sugar Water May Delay Premature Babies' Development
>
>The researchers fed over 100 infants born at less than 31 weeks either a
>sucrose solution or sterile water each time they underwent a painful or
>uncomfortable procedure such as an injection or when a feeding tube was
>inserted. The solutions were given up to three times per procedure,
>spaced two minutes apart, over the course of one week.
>What were the results of the study?
>There were no differences between the sugar and water groups in terms of
>development over the following months. However, infants who received the
>greatest number of sucrose doses had poorer motor development, were less
>alert and vigorous at 36 weeks, and fared worse on other measures at the
>age of two weeks.
>Pediatrics 2002;110:523-528

>LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
>mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
>http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

Don't you just want to shake these people? (Shaking babies is a no-no, but
maybe shaking researchers would be worthwhile?) I predicted this when it
was noted that mothers' milk reduced infant stress during/after painful
procedures. Some yutz (what's the plural?) looked at the data and figured
it must be the sugars in the mothers' milk that did the trick (sweetness
being the primary difference adult yutz's notice between ABM and the real
thing). So...let's offer sugar. The expenditure of research funds and
research time would probably boggle our minds. To coin a phrase...ITS
BREASTFEEDING AND MOTHERS' MILK, STUPID.

Some hospitals (maybe this has been discussed here, I'm sorry) are giving
babies a glurg of glucose or regular sugar to help them cope with painful
surgical procedures. This, because as we all know, is more scientific and
billable than allowing the baby instant access to his mother.

Sheesh.
Margery Wilson, IBCLC
Cambridge, MA