Date:
Tue, 24 Sep 2002 00:54:00 +0200
Regarding mothers being inundated with visitors - we instituted a stricter
visiting policy in 1990 here, when we moved into a new facility farther from
the center of town.
1. Siesta, from 2-4 p.m. during which no one is allowed in, and bedside phones
are disabled for incoming calls.  Staff only go in if a mother signals for
help.  Mothers are encouraged to sleep or at least rest then.  Babies are with
mothers unless mother has a pressing need to be alone or is truly unable to
care for the baby.  (This policy is in effect all the time, not just during
siesta.)
2. Visiting hour every day from 6-7 p.m. for all except fathers/father
equivalents and sibs.  If mother wishes a visit from anyone else she is
expected to go out and meet whoever it is, outside the main area of the ward,
so that any other mothers in the room are not bothered by the visit.  During
siesta no one visits, we are really adamant about that.
3. Nearly unlimited visiting for fathers and sibs, except during siesta.

We have finally come to accept that being 'bouncers' is part of our job, and
an important one at that.  I try to get in an opportunity to gently educate
extraneous visitors about the Right Way to visit a new family: with food in
hand and keeping your coat on because you are only staying long enough to
admire the baby briefly and drop the food off.

Rachel Myr
Kristiansand, Norway
PS In Gothenburg, where I am at the moment, the postpartum ward does not allow
visitors except fathers and siblings.  None.