From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 May 2002 07:40:41 -0400
Aaron Morris wrote:

> I received notice that someone received a file attachment appearing to come
> from [log in to unmask] that contained a virus.

The email is not originating from the BeeL

The virus is variant of the Klez virus and captures email addresses from
the infected computer and sends email out as if they are coming from the
captured address and not the infected computer. So someone who has the
BeeL address in their computer is sending out email as if it was coming
from the BeeL to others in their address book. Some times the subject
line is obvious that it is a false email, such as Sexy Ladies as the
subject and the BeeL as the sender. But more are returned mail messages
or other more plausible subjects.

There are ways to see where it is actually coming from, if you know how
to read headers.

The virus is a bad one and will destroy files on your computer. As in
all cases, it is easily stopped if you have a virus checker and keep it
current, a firewall such as zone alarm, and never open attachments.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Me