From:
Peg Merrill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Aug 2002 17:02:48 -0400
The hospital I work at is considering reorganizing the Lactation Dept. I'm
wondering if anyone works for a hospital that uses both RN and non-RN,
IBCLC, and non-IBCLC staff. and if so if you have job descriptions or
protocols to share. Currently we really have a "mixed bag" and it works
well.  Everyone working on the unit directly with new moms is an RN, half
are IBCLC, half aren't.  We also have an out patient store where people can
get fit for nursing bras, buy pumps, and come in fors consults after they
have been discharged.  The people that work in the store aren't the same as
the ones that work on the units (1 out 4 is) most are IBCLC, 2 of 4 are RN,
1 is a Health Educator who has been at the hospital over 20 years, and is
very good.  We are concerned that the business women in charge of the
reorganization will try to standardize the credentials and that would ruin
the great working relationship that we all have.  I would appreciate any
help from those who work in similar situations especially if you have
different job descriptions to share.  Thanks
Peg Merrill, BS, IBCLC