Date:
Wed, 31 Jul 2002 11:21:23 -0400
I think that it is interesting and perplexing that the mother felt that she
needed permission to cup feed,
and that staff took the liberty of making her out to be a troublemaker when
she was advocating
for her own right and her children's right to protect breastfeeding. It is
interesting when one is labelled
extreme when one has strong feelings that conflict with a "policy," or
other notion that is dictating practice.
Also, women are a lot more apt to be labelled "extreme." Men, on the other
hand, are assertive.

This is intimidation.

Kathleen

At 09:09 PM 7/30/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>Babies gained well in NICU.  Mom had lots of issues with staff about
>breastfeeding issues including the LC who told her that "in 20 y of
>practice, I've never seen a case of nipple confusion".  Hospital
>wouldn't "let" her cup feed "because the risk of aspiration is too
>high".  Mom's a speech path with a hospital background and a LLL so she
>cup fed when she could, but babies got bottles when she wasn't there.
>Also, b/c she had such an 'extreme' position on breastfeeding and
>artificial nipples (she's actually very very diplomatic and is *so*
>non-offensive in her manner), the neonatologist suggested not
>breastfeeding at all for several days b/c she didn't seem to be coping
>well.  "The girls are doing fine but we're worried aobut you".  It was
>*so* frustrating.

Kathleen B. Bruce, BSN, IBCLC co-owner Lactnet
Independent Consultant
http://homepages.together.net/~kbruce/kbblact.html
LACTNET Archives http://peach.ease.lsoft.com/archives/lactnet.html