From:
Mary Jozwiak IBCLC <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Jul 2002 18:09:39 -0400
I agree 100% Heather. Hand expression is a good thing for some mothers to
know, especially in those rare moments where they need to express and have
no pump or electricity availble ect. Learning the proper tecnique could
help a mother avoid a breast injury (as you know, some mothers try to
"squeeze" milk out and hurt thmeselves) and obtain better volume.

Mothers could be taught the proper hand expression method and also should
have acess to good quality pumps in situations where they will be pumping
regularly and/or for the long term. They should also be given information
about the limitations of hand expression so they can make the best choice
for themselves and their babies.

Mary Jozwiak IBCLC, LLLL, AAPL
Private Practice