Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 19 Oct 2002 23:42:19 +0100
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (62 lines)
Hi Allen et al,
Straight away I state that most of the following is pure speculation!

You wrote that "bees hang inactive while making wax" presumably meaning that they are relatively
immobile whilst "festooned" - hanging in a loose net like configuration.

They only appear to take up this position during wax formation.
Complementary question - why?

They are during this state, presumably being metabolically very active - converting sugars to fats
and waxes. This will be requiring consumption of energy resources, which presumably will be
destructive of cellular components - these being repaired, or replaced to a certain degree. These
processes will require use of amino acids, fatty acids etc. etc.

Presumably, during and after a period of activity, the genetic timetable (through gene damage,
closure of gene expression) results in an reduction or total inability to repair.

Therefore during wax formation, high rates of cellular oxidation processes are taking place with
sugars being metabolized, proteins being generated. Resulting in fat / waxy products.
Conclusion:
I suggest that this has a toll on the general well being of the individual bee when a comparison is
made between those that have and those that have not generated wax.

What to my mind appears to be difficult to estimate or define is the "wear out factor" for each role
undertaken by an adult honey bee.
i.e. The life span may be considered as 100%.
and just for example: (see below*)
bees that have produced wax for 24 hours consume 5% of their 100% metabolic allotment.
bees that produce material from the hypo pharyngeal glands over 72 hours consume 7%
bees that forage  21 days for nectar 60%
etc., etc.

Depending what roles are undertaken and for how long, each bee gradually moves towards its final
flight.
To my mind, wax production moves the imaginary metabolic slide marker towards the buffers at the end
of the rail. Bees age.

If it were possible to get a situation where a bee is followed having done "nothing" other than
nectar foraging - would it be "metabolically fitter" to undertake the task for a longer period of
time ( barring accidental termination before arriving at the 100% empty sign!).

Differences between so called summer and winter bees may give some insight into this topic.

Bound to be suggested figures out there somewhere. Especially as allotted time periods have been
produced for the average honey bee (these showing differences in time span according to bee "type").

So, question*:
Is task dependent aging allocation a % of 100%, or time dependent.
i.e. Two bees
bee "a" has life span of 6 weeks
bee "b" has life span of 8 weeks

Which is the case?
both undertake wax production - same period duration, using 5% of their allotted life span, or
both  undertake wax production - same period duration, with bee a and b  using 24 hours of their
allotted life span.

Respond or bin - depending on your fancy!!

Regards
Peter

ATOM RSS1 RSS2