Date:
Sun, 14 Jul 2002 08:23:41 -0400
I would say that this issue should be brought to your hospital ethics
committee. References are needed by those who are performing the
intervention, in this case, introducing an artificial baby milk to babies
who do not need it....this goes against the AAP guidelines, as well as many
other well-prescribed evidence-based practices for in-hospital care of
newborns.  The people who do this need evidence....to support it, rather
than you needing evidence to refute it.  Those in favor need to show the
evidence proving that it is not harmful, which, I am afraid, they will not
find.

Kathleen

At 06:11 AM 7/14/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>I believe I may have not made myself clear on my original posting.  Natural
>Care is being given in my facility to healthy, term infants as a substitute
>to breastmilk. Some of the staff is sending it home with moms who have no
>breastfeeding problems.  The moms are not cautioned against the adverse
>effects of giving something other than breastmilk to their infants. From
>what I understand it should be mixed with breastmilk when there is a volume
>issue or may be used with preemies.  What I'm looking for are references
>related to the use of this specific product.  I don't think it is being
>handled properly in my facility.  If ABM ordered to be given by our
>physicians I would rather we use a low iron formula, not human milk
>fortifier for our healthy, term infants. References and suggestions greatly
>appreciated.
>Ashleigh Beyer, RN, CCE, IBCLC candidate 2002

>LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
>mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
>http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

Kathleen B. Bruce, BSN, IBCLC co-owner Lactnet, Indep. Consultant
http://together.net/~kbruce/kbbspin.html
LACTNET Archives http://peach.ease.lsoft.com/archives/lactnet.html