HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Cathy Spude <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Jul 2002 08:55:18 -0600
Gaye:

You might check out my dissertation. I referenced about 40 collections, all
dating from various shorter time periods within the larger span of 1880 to
1920 ( one collection dated into the 1930s) from both frontier and urban
contexts in the United States and Canada. While I no doubt categorized the
collections differently than you will want to, I did provide inventories of
all the collections in an appendix, and you can go to the original studies
for more complete descriptions if you need them. For all but two or three
of the collections, which I had to inspect myself, the reports had very
detailed artifact descriptions.

The dissertation is:

Blee, Catherine Holder

1991  Sorting Functionally-Mixed Artifact Assemblages with Multiple
Regression: A Comparative Study in Historical Archeology. PhD dissertation,
University of Colorado, Boulder. Available through University Microfilms,
Inc.

One item of important note. Since I did the dissertation, I have since
discovered that the "Family Assemblage" model is not a useful one. The one
I discuss in my dissertation is actually a bimodel distribution, and breaks
naturally into a "Drinking Family" and a "Temperate Family" assemblage. If
you are interested in any follow-up on these particular models, please let
me know, and I can send you some other papers I have written that explore
the question further.

However, if you just want the raw data or further references to artifact
inventories, my dissertation may be a place to start.

I hope it can be of some use to you.

Cathy

                      Gaye Nayton
                      <[log in to unmask]        To:       [log in to unmask]
                      U>                       cc:
                      Sent by:                 Subject:  comparing assemblages
                      HISTORICAL
                      ARCHAEOLOGY

                      07/12/02 10:16 PM
                      ZE8
                      Please respond to
                      HISTORICAL
                      ARCHAEOLOGY

My PhD thesis is looking at applying frontier theories to recent frontiers.
In this case to Western Australia's Northwest frontier. I have looked at it
regionally and at town level now I am down to site level. I would like to
compare my assemblage to other frontier and non frontier assemblages from
the same timespan. The site assemblage has been divided into four
chronological assemblages

1874-1883
1884-1895
1896-1910
1910>

The first three are frontier layers. Does anyone know of any accessible
assemblage data from domestic/store or domestic assemblages which fit those
sort of time periods?

Also if anyone can point me in the direction of some pertinent reading to
applying frontier theories to the spread of artifacts across a site it
would be appreciated.  Particularly relating to Paytner's strategies of
domination and resistance, recognising social display, group membership,
private/public space and servant/master relationships and any later
researches applying the Lewis frontier theory model. I was sick during most
of the 90s and could not keep the reading up. I am now trying to catch up.

Thanks Gaye