From:
Denis Fodor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Dec 2002 16:10:22 -0500
Christopher Webber <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>...audiences used to film, TV and modern theatre will not accept old
>fustian, creaky sets and scratch stagings....

Oh, I suppose many won't.  But a modern director needn't be fustian
and still remain faithful to the original sets and staging.  Betokening
that, not long ago I saw a production of Meistersinger here at the
Nationaltheater (Munich opera).  It was originally conceived by(the late)
August Everding-- possibly fifteen years ago.  His sets were abstract
and handsome but above all they very clearly said "Medieval Germany."
The costumes were Bavarian with an aggiorniarnento to them, resembling
the onen seen for sale in the smarter boutiques around here, at least
in the ones that purvey this sort of folksy item.  The acting was very
strong.  The humor,especially, came across impressively, down to a hint
of an ironic twinkle that Everding lent to the more pompous stretches
of the plot.  The actors seemed to enjoy themselvest, and they sang as
well as a Wagner opera deserves; the audience ate it up, and the house
was packed because, I presume, word had gotten around that here was
something with it to visit.  And not contrived glitz.

Denis Fodor