From:
Dave Harman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Sep 2002 19:32:27 -0600
Tim Horwood wrote:

>Also Nielsen's influence in Simpson's First Symphony, the woodwind
>reminds me of Nielsen's Fifth.  Simpson's 9th is seems to one of his better
>symphonies.  I find though that a lot of his writing seems an exercise
>more in logic using sound rather than inspired music.  Anyone find his
>music inspiring?

I have some of Simpson's symphonies - #6,7, 9,and 10 plus some String
Quartets plus the Horn Triio, so I can't be accused of not giving the
man a chance. I find his music not unattractive, but generally cold -
certainly it doesn't reflect the some of the warm words I have read
about his music.  To me, his music just doesn't 'sing' - not in the
sense that it has to be tonal - I like atonal music - but it doesn't
have the feeling of a spirit - or breath - behind it.  As an example,
the music of Alban Berg 'sings' - so does Schoenberg or Aho.

Dave Harman
El Paso, TX