From:
Jon Gallant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Apr 2002 10:25:40 -0700
On the topic of NPR's programming, Ray Bay complains:

>The work to keep Performance Today is best spent on organizations that
>will pay for local sponsorship...  or for sponsors who care." To this,
>Karl Miller's reply makes an absolutely key point: "I believe that
>quality programming does not necessarily require "quality" budgets.

Permit me a suggestion.  Next time any NPRites wring their hands and
lament the scarcity of funding, just ask them what the salary scales
are in the top positions of their local station.  NPR's long campaign to
"professionalize" non-commercial radio is perhaps not entirely unrelated
to these "professionalized" salaries at NPR, underwritten by all those
sponsors who care.

Cheers////Jon Gallant, long ago a veteran of non-commercial broadcasting
with non-quality budgets.  [[log in to unmask]]