From:
Lyla Wolfenstein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Jun 2002 08:08:23 -0700
Hi,

I posted a week or 2 ago about a 10 week old baby with no visable frenulum,
but whose tongue seemed tight, had an assymetrical lift on one side of the
tongue, who I thought had a high anterior palate and a shallow gag reflex,
and wasn't latching well, but was gnawing and lipping the breast, but still
gaining well, albeit gassy.  mom had slightly sore nipples occasionally,
but nothing excrutiating or persistent.  Well, thanks to all the great
input from you all on Lactnet and from a local IBCLC with whom I spoke,
this mom willingly took her baby to a cranial sacral therapist
yesterday.  Unfortunately i missed the appointment, so i didn't get to
observe first hand, but mom reports being *very* impressed.  The CST
assessed the same issues as I did, and worked on the baby, indicating that
she was adjusting the frenulum and the palate as well (incredible to me, i
wish i understood how this worked!).  Baby nursed *extremely well* right
afterward, in the treatment room, and mom will let me know how things go
over the next week or so.  The CST wants baby to come one more time.  Can
anyone explain how a CST adjustment can change the shape of the palate and
loosen a tight frenulum?   Anyhow, if this treatment "fixes" this baby's
nursing, i will be a complete convert to CST (I already have personal
experience with CST and my son's ear infections - worked like a
charm!).  So, I will update again later, on this baby, and thanks again
very much for all the wisdom you shared with me regarding this case!

Lyla Wolfenstein
LLL Leader
taking IBCLC exam this July