From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Jul 2002 15:14:55 +1000
Kevin Sutton:

>On the back of an old lp of mine (VOX, Debussy Preludes I, Novaes),
>there is a set of care instructions on the back.  One of the items
>says:"For those with wide range equipment, it is advised to adjust for
>the RIAA curve." Would someone please explain to me what this means?
>This collector of old records feels left out of some techno-history
>here.

I have a number of records with that legend on the cover.  RIAA stands for
Recording Industry Association of America.  I found a basic article about
it at:

   http://www.tanker.se/lidstrom/riaa.htm

A friend used to own a Pope-Motorola system which had an RIAA setting on
one of the controls.  Using that setting made no apparent difference.
The original cover of Monteux's Berlioz Romeo and Juliet on Westminster
had a diagram showing the positions of the various sections of the
orchestra.  There may well have been others.

Richard Pennycuick