From:
"Richard A. Ujvary" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Mar 2002 08:58:55 -0500
You know I don't really think Mr Shaffer gave a heck about the "middle
class" when he produced his "fantasia on Mozartian themes" as he put it.
Mr Shaffer is a playwright and an artist.  When we look at the film, we're
not to expect a true-life documentary on Mozart.  Enjoy the film as pure
entertainment.  The soundtrack was a classical best seller and I'm sure
millions of people were exposed to his music, some no doubt for the very
first time.  Here's what Shaffer has to say:

   "Finally, this is how Mozart actually appears to me.  Trained superbly
   by his expert and relentless father, Wolfgang Amadeus was fitted from
   the age of 16 for one supreme mode of existence:  to be the magic
   flute at the lips of God.  His death at the age of 35 does not seem
   to be tragic in the least.  He died after gigantic labors of sublime
   transcription because the Player had finished playing with him.  That
   is all.  How lucky to be used up like that, rather than, as most of
   us are, by the trillion trivialities which whittle us away into dust."

Rich