From:
Ray Bayles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Sep 2002 10:26:10 -0700
The Goldberg Variations of Bach are among my most favorite pieces of
music...  with a hugh number of excellent performances available.

Another release of the two most famous Glenn Gould performances of Bach's
Goldberg Variations came out September 10th.  This new 3-disk set from
Sony Classical and Legacy (A State of Wonder) was reviewd on NPR's Weekend
Edition Saturday this morning in celebration of the 70th anniversary of
Glenn Gould's birth.

The first two disks are new remasterings of the 1955 and 1981 versions.
I have four other performances that are not in the same league as these
two.  The third disk has Glenn Gould discussing his own views of his two
performances in an interview with critic/journalist Tim Page.  It also
has rare studio outtakes of the 1955 performance.

Also available is a new book, Glenn Gould: A Life in Pictures with over
200 black and white family photographs in their first release.

I found this interview absolutely interesting.  The two performances are
so different.  Glenn Gould tells why.

You can get additional information by clicking on:

   www.npr.org/programs/wesat/features/2002/sept/gould/index.html
   www.goldbergvariations.com
   www.glengould.com
   www.wired.com/wired/archive/9.12/aspergers_pr.html