From:
Daniel Beland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Apr 2002 13:24:04 -0400
Arri Bachrach:

>FWIW, I have known a member of the woodwinds in the orchestra for at least
>20 years- a few years ago I asked him what he thinks of Dutoit- he seemed
>quite unimpressed with his conducting.

Dutoit is often a fine conductor, especially when he plays with spirited
soloists such as his ex-wife, Martha Argerich!  He is also excellent when
playing the music of Ibert (his CD with the MSO is a real find!), Ravel,
Roussel, Piazzolla, and some works by Prokofiev (Romeo and Juliet) and
Rachmaninov (The Bells, Symphonic Dances).  But Dutoit cannot conduct
properly most of the German/Austrian repertoire, including Brahms and
Bruckner!  Actually, he doesn't play Brahms symphonies anymore (guest
conductors have to perform this task!).

>In fact this individual, who is a really fine player, has tried to find
>another orchestra for years- so far unsuccessfully.

Many MSO players have actually left Montreal...  Low salaries paid by the
MSO is probably the key factor at stake!  Top American orchestras have
just more $$$ to offer...

Daniel