From:
Janos Gereben <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Apr 2002 22:22:51 -0800
Tony writes:

>I think I may be the first to have reviewed Michael Tilson Thomas's new
>recording of Mahler's Sixth Symphony.

The recording, maybe.  The "real thing," no - that was me, see below.
I listened to the recording (including the corrected second disk), and
while liked it well enough, the unique intensity of the live event was
edited out in the process, just as I was afraid it may happen -

   Subject: A Sixth for Our Time
   Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2001 00:03:37 -0700

   More than a mere coincidence, this was a spooky conjunction - and
   therefore suspect. Years ago, when Michael Tilson Thomas planned his
   Mahler cycle with the San Francisco Symphony, he scheduled four
   public-performance recording sessions of the Sixth Symphony, beginning
   on Sept. 12, 2001, yes, "the day after."

   All Mahler, of course, is appropriate for emotional, dramatic
   occasions, but the Sixth is perhaps the most uniformly and
   consistently tragic. It was this almost too perfect scheduling twist
   of fate that made me uneasy - how do you live up to its promise and
   demand?

   On Tuesday, with all Civic Center buildings closed, the Symphony
   couldn't rehearse. On Wednesday, the performance went on as scheduled,
   but I didn't attend. Reports say that MTT said a few words and the
   audience sang "The Star-Spangled Banner" before the performance, which
   was received with rave reviews.

   By tonight's third performance, appropriately enough, there were no
   special observations, only a note in the program: "The world of the
   Mahler Sixth is violent and tragic, and though moments of transcendent
   beauty unfold at its center, this symphony offers no simple answers.
   No work of art can speak to this week's events but the Mahler Sixth
   offers us a focus as we gather our thoughts and emotions. With this
   music, we remember the victims of September 11, 2001."

   I entered Davies Hall with high expectations and lingering doubts,
   feeling protective about the orchestra facing the challenge, hoping
   that nothing will go wrong because any one small thing can mar such an
   occasion. Getting to the seat, my heart sank when I noticed a very
   young child sitting directly in front of me. Fortunately, it turned
   out to be Laura Baez, the six-year-old who attends concerts where her
   father - Symphony clarinetist Luis Baez - plays, and she automatically
   goes to sleep in 10 minutes. Still, it was a close shave. Nothing must
   go wrong.

   About one minute into the Allegro, I suspended all thinking and
   automatically filtered out anything not connected with the music. This
   was Mahler with the inevitability, the certainty, authenticity you
   experience when Simon Rattle conducts the best orchestras in the
   world. That good. Tempo, balance, colors, all the details, yes, but
   something more: singing from the heart, albeit a broken one.

   MTT's wonderful recent performances of the Mahler Fifth and Ninth were
   taking their place behind this one - as rough, visceral, merciless,
   powerful a performance as I have heard (Bernstein, Solti, Karajan,
   Abbado recordings included), not as beautifully or flawlessly played
   as others, more in anger than sorrow, with a manic intensity that took
   the breath away. Literally. This was a giant straddling Beethoven and
   Shostakovich, with anguish and grief on the scale of the event it
   spoke to, a century after its creation.

   At the end of the movement, if I didn't feel unable to move, I would
   have tried to leave. I sat limp, drained, with my mouth open. There
   was no misguided attempt to applaud, not one in an audience of 2,800 -
   not even whispers or noises of approval. Just silence. Laura was not
   sleeping; she sat bolt upright, staring at the stage where - she
   knew - something extraordinary has taken place. A few seats away,
   Francis Ford Coppola looked as if something just hit him over the
   head. Well, it has.

   The Scherzo picked up where the first movement left off, it and the
   Andante cast their still-strange spell with masterful playing. There
   were other awsome moments, such as a simple forte being turned into a
   volcanic, underground explosion, shaking the hall. The Finale (which
   has as much "filling" as the last movement of the Seventh) was as fine
   as it can be. But nothing came close to the impact of the first
   movement - nothing could, more because of the nature of the work than
   of the performance. MTT and the entire orchestra, every one of them,
   played it all to perfection at this, their third go at it. They
   brought in the work in 91 minutes (including breaks).

   When the cycle comes out on CD, look for the Sixth's first movement:
   it must be the entire Friday performance, un-patched, un-"corrected,"
   it must be left exactly as it was. On the other hand, there is one
   more performance, Saturday evening, and if you're anywhere near Davies
   Hall, don't miss it. Lightning CAN strike twice.

Janos Gereben/SF