Date:
Sun, 7 Jul 2002 15:01:51 -0700
Barbara Wilson-Clay wrote:

> It's a rule in our family never to leave a family member alone in a
> hospital.

What a great rule.  I think that a person who sleeps with a family member can
only heal faster and be ready to go home sooner.

When my oldest was almost three she spent 5 days in the hospital. It was
supposed to be a 7-10 day stay, but she was released after 5 days. I had to
sign a release to allow her to be in a regular hospital bed and not a crib--I
couldn't be in the crib with her.  She was also still nursing. I was 14 weeks
pregnant, and not producing a lot of milk but I know I had some because she
spit up some of her first feeding after surgery.  The hospital had a policy
that if a mother was breastfeeding, her meals were free, but I doubt very
seriously if they ever thought that policy would be used by the mother of a
nearly 3 year old who was also pregnant!  I know sleeping with Lexie and me
being there the entire time helped her to heal faster.  (I only left twice, to
sleep at a cousins house, she lived just minutes away, and only when my husband
was there with Lexie).  As we were leaving, the nurse in charge of, well, not
sure what her title was, but she offered counseling to parents whose babies had
died or when the baby was in the nicu, and to parents whose children were ill
in the pediatric ward.  Anyway, she said that we did more to educate the
doctors and nurses about extended breastfeeding and family bedding in the five
days we were there then any of her classes she teaches or articles she gives
out, etc. could ever do.  It was amazing, to be told your child would be in the
hospital for 7-10 days, and for them to say she's healed so well, she can go
home at 5 days.  I do credit her early release to breastfeeding and family
bedding.

I also coslept with both my girls as newborns, and no one said a word.  Well
one nurse did. She came in at 7am and said "I tried to get the baby at 4am for
a check but she was sleeping on you and I couldn't take her."  I was livid.  I
asked her if she meant she would have taken her without my knowledge had she
been in the crib, and she said yes, and I asked her to leave my room and get me
another nurse.  Both my girls have always been with me or a family member every
minute we were in the hospital.  At one point Janene needed a heel stick (I had
GD) and I was in the bathroom. The nurse wanted to take her right away and I
said "you can take her with my mom or wait until I am through."  My mom was not
banded, so she said they couldn't take her with my mom but she didn't want to
wait.  I said again 'you can either take her with my mom or wait until I am
ready."  She decided to take her with my mom.

Joylyn Fowler
LLL Leader