Date:
Wed, 29 May 2002 21:01:10 EDT
My daughter is a firefighter/paramedic.  These are questions I have thought
of many times.  She has a son who is now eleven and he was breastfed for
almost 3 years, this was before she became a fire/medic.  She has very small
breast and had to nurse him very frequently.  They slept together and he was
a marathon nurser.

If she had another baby, given her limited milk storage capacity, she may
have to pump every 1 1/2 to 2 hours to get enough milk for a baby while she
was away for a 24 hour stretch.  I just don't know how she could do it, if
she returned to duty on the engine or rescue.  I have pictured her with the
Traveler PNS on her back and handsfree pumping while manning the fire hose.
Don't think that would fly with her lieutenant.  I never gave thought to the
hazards her milk would be exposed to, but that could be a real concern.

I did have a firefighter some years ago.  She would rent a pump for 12-18
months at a time.  She took a desk job while she was breastfeeding.  She did
have to do a 24 hour shift and just keep the Classic pump at the office.  I
rented to her twice for baby number 2 and 3.  She never had supply issues and
nursed till they self weaned.  She was a lieutenant which also made it
easier.

I don't know how experienced this mom is or how long she's been a fire/medic,
but if she is really experienced she could be a fire inspector or instructor
or work with staffing during her breastfeeding time.  She will be given a
desk job at some point in the pregnancy as they will not have her on the
front line pregnant.  Possible her desk job could be extended post maternity.
 I think it would be doable if she has a quality pump and can pump every 2-3
hours doing a desk job.  Motherhood demand sacrifices for the working mom as
well as the stay home mom.
I wish her luck.

Warm regards,
Pat Lindsey, IBCLC - Lactation Services  www.PatLC.com