From:
Mary Graden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Jul 2002 11:17:06 -0600
If your hospital does use pumping logs, it would need to be emphasized
that no on would be "checking" the logs., that they would be strictly an
aide for the mom. The mom would also need to know that she is not a
failure if she doesn't live up to the 8- 10 times a day.
I think this is an unrealistic goal. When my preemie was in icu, It was
a good day to get in six pumpings. Most of the time it was only four.
Between  gong to the hospital, caring for or arranging care for our two
year old, I was exhausted. I HATED that pump. I would much rather nap or
cuddle with my toddler than pump. I had to force myself to pump and
reward myself  after  with a treat or a nap.  The supply does fluctuate
with the baby's condition . At one point when my baby was put back on
the ventilator,  I remember pumping and just pouring it down the sink,
It seemed like she would never get it anyway.
The only thing that really kept me going was that I had already nursed
my two year old and knew that was the relationship I wanted with this
baby. A pumping log may have been helpful but it may also have been one
more thing and just discouraging.
Mary graden