From:
Ellen Phaff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Jul 2002 16:34:35 -0400
Hi Everybody,
I am still vacationing in the United States and recovering from the wonderful opportunity to meet so many of you and others that were in attendance at the Conference.

Until all hospitals become baby friendly, it will take a very long time, even though many are trying to become just that at least on a number of counts if not ALL the criteria.
I believe the same is true with many companies, who are TRYING to adhere to the WHO code. It is a process and although I don't necessarily condone marketing tactics, I know there is a big difference between marketing to the public and marketing to a specific groups of HCP's. If I am not mistaken, the code ethics refer mainly to marketing to the general public.

Unfortunately there is not a heck of alot of opportunity for Non-Profit organisations to obtain grants and donations, especially in the field of Lactation and Childbirth. We seem to be at the low end of the priority totem poll  After serving as Chairman of the Board of such a Non-Profit for about 20 years, I realize that much of our support could definitely be forthcoming from OUR OWN PEOPLE.!! Likewise regarding ILCA.
HAVE YOU JOINED AND SENT IN YOUR OWN MEMBERSHIP FEES?????

I was amazed to find out just how few of us actually pay our dues! So, can you imagine how much better off OUR organization would be if we all paid our dues? It is very easy to find fault, but not so easy to come up with an alternative to a financial resolution. Maybe if we all paid up, then it wouldn't be as difficult for the Association to make ends meet. Everyone wants to be able to attend the conferences, but without supporting OUR organization, it just isn't a given that any organization can survive. so I would urge you all, and those not on the list, to support ILCA. I would urge each country to become an affiliate so that this organization can be more representative of all of our needs. Once again, it is easy to criticize but much harder to be a part and really try to make the organization international,  successful and representative of all of our goals.

I am not a paid public announcement, just very motivated after having such an inspiring time in Boca. As soon as I get back to Israel I will try to create an affiliate. hope you all will too!!!

Ellen Shein, LLLL, IBCLC
Tel Aviv, visiting in Albany, N.Y.