From:
Ingrid Groenewald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Apr 2002 20:51:59 GMT
Hi everybody
This is the first time I move from being a lurker to actually having a scenario
I would like information and assistance on.
I give antenatal classes and do breastfeeding counselling. The husband of one
of the couples that I had last month phoned me on Sunday in awful distress.
They had lit a fumigating coil the morning before going to work and when
returning at 4 in the afternoon the residue of the poison caused her to land in
ICU comatosed with renal failure, liver disfunction and a very poor prognosis.
Doctors performed an emergency ceasar the next morning out of fear of losing
both mother and baby. Both baby and mother barely clung to life for the
following 5 days. The prognosis for both have improved substantially and the
mother has regained consciousness. Both are still in the ICU . Baby weighs 2,4
kg and was born on 33 weeks. The baby is off the respirator now and they have
started formule feedings per NG tube. The mother hasn't started pumping jet
because of her condition. I am seeing the pediatrician and doctor tomorrow
morning to discusses this situation. I am going to recommend that they should
start pumping as soon her health allows it and to give that to the baby. I
mentioned this to the husband but he informed me that the doctors say the
poison is still present in the fat tissue.
What will the impact on this be on the quality of milk? Can this milk be fed to
the baby?

thank you

Ingrid Groenewald
B.Cur RN RM