From:
Heleen Hayes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 May 2002 16:06:39 +0200
On 1 May 2002 at 0:32, Kermaline J. Cotterman wrote:

> She was referred to me early, and I was able to follow her with
> close-up slides for 3 months before birth and during the postpartum
> period. After obtaining permission from her new MD, at 26 weeks
> g.a.,she began using the "contraption" at first 3 x/day for 10 minutes
> each side.
>
> After a week she increased to 15 minutes each side 4x/d. While her
> retracting nipple seemed to become a great deal more elastic, the
> invaginated nipple never emerged.

I did something similar to this at the middle to end stage of my pregnancy (not the last 2
months, though). Nipple would come out eventually into the 'niple extractor' that I made
out of a syringe (cut of the spout bit, put the pusher in at the 'wrong end', use it as a
suction device, a cheap version of Avents' thing).

> By definition, an invaginated nipple is one where what would have been
> the surface of the nipple lines a pit.

That's me! And my mom, and my sister,and my cousin.
3 out of 4 breastfed, my mom didn't have the pumps we have nowadays, so even though
she was very eager to breastfeed, it just wouldn't work. I prepared myself and was very
stubborn. After 6 weeks my daughter got it that she didn't need the pump & bottle, but
could get it from the breast. At that point, I don't recall my nipples being protruding. Now,
3 3/4 years later, I do have nipples.

> It has been my experience (4 unpublished case studies with close-up
> pictures) that there are many, many varieties of inversion.

I am so sorry that I didn't have pictures taken from my breasts before childbirth...

By the way, cold doesn't make my niples go out, it chases them towards my back, but a
hot shower/bath works. But in the early stage, if I would touch at that point, they would
pop back in.

> However, since your client has 2 such nipples, I see only two options:
> Pumping, with compression/massage, and then bottle, or finger feeding,
> or
>
> Continuing to pump for stimulation, but use compression while using a
> nipple shield, perhaps with an SNS tube or FF tube under it, to feed
> "at" but not "from" the breast.

Hope her child is bright, mine would just not start at a flat breast.

Good luck for Jans client!
---
Heleen Hayes, http://www.xs4all.nl/~hhayes
Weet je al wat je gaat stemmen? Kijk eens op
http://www.vbn.borstvoeding.nl/politiek.html