From:
Andy Jackson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Sep 2002 13:07:13 -0400
To the question: when are we going to see Simpson's 11th Symphony (on
CD)?

Short answer: I don't know.

Slightly longer answer: I can only say that the Robert Simpson Society
has been trying to get Ted Perry and Hyperion to record this for a while
now.  At issue are the total costs involved.  Various schemes to combine
the recording with the London premiere have fallen through.

I am lucky enough to know what the premiere sounded like, two movements
both of which gather momentum (more successfully than anything he wrote
since the 4th Symphony IMHO), with the scoring placed firmly in the sound
world of the coda of the 9th symphony.  From commercial recordings, you
will only know the 9th Symphony coda, but there are several pieces written
after that which have a similar, characteristic, sound (e.g.  the flute
concerto, and the variations on a theme by Bach - almost like a "late
period"?).

Sorry I cannot give a firm date,
Andy Jackson