From:
Pablo Massa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Aug 2002 21:46:03 -0300
Bernard Chasan to Steve Schwartz's question:

>>When Beethoven and Haydn arrange British folk songs, do they
>>change from classical to popular?
>
>And the answer is- of course he changed.  I assume that when Beethoven
>wrote a string quartet or a symphony his approach and his intent was quite
>different from his approach to his song settings.  Which does not make the
>settings inferior- just small scale.

I would response the opposite way.  The fact itself that those songs
need to be arranged proves that Beethoven was working there on a product
especially modified for his own social class (and/or higher).  Any of
Beethoven's work came to us from oral tradition (that would surely happened
if Beethoven would ever change from classic to popular:-)

Pablo Massa