From:
Mike Leghorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Aug 2002 10:21:41 -0500
Pablo Massa wrote:

>Since 20 years or little more, the recording market offers almost
>everything concerning Medieval and Renaissance music.  I'm not sure
>whether there's anything among these repertoires that hasn't been
>recorded yet (unless it hasn't been discovered yet).  ...

I think it's a sign of our times.  For example, one of my friends says he
likes really old music or really new music (i.e.  Medieval and Renaissance
music and minimalist music).  In times when we re-evaluate our music and
try to come up with a fresh approach, we often turn to external sources for
our inspiration.  This has yielded such trends as exoticism in the late
Romantic period, when we looked to the east for new ideas, primitivism
(e.g.  Prokoviev Scythian Suite), and neoclassicism.  I think a lot of
people are getting tired of the old tension-release "formula" that has been
so essential in western music since harmonic tensions started evolving in
the medieval period (I guess -- I don't pretend to be a music historian.
This is just my understanding, perhaps not based on precise fact -- but you
get the idea...).  If we go back long enough, we'll get to a time when
tension-release was not present.  I think that this is a time we're
revisiting now.

Mike