From:
John Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Jul 2002 17:53:58 +0000
Steve Schwartz writes:

>Sure, but they're American (the original point of the list) only by
>adoption.  I would consider Korngold Viennese and Rozsa Hungarian, as
>far as their music went.

Many Americans came to their country as emigrants, including a number
of composers who were cast adrift by the events in Europe during the
first half of the century.  Igor Stravinsky, who is, as far as I know,
is always considered a Russian composer, spent nearly 30 years of his
compositional life in the United States.  Would his later work ever
qualify as "American", whatever that might be? Are there any composers
who emigrated to America who became American composers, or is their music
indelibly stamped with the signature of their country of origin? And if
that is the case, then what do we call the music of those 19th and early
20th century Americans, such as Edward MacDowell and George Chadwick whose
training and tradition were primarily European?

Regards,

John Parker