From:
Paul Silverthorne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Jul 2002 15:10:26 EDT
[log in to unmask] writes:

>Mimi wrote:
>
>>For me, there has always been one very meaningful D minor place that always
>>raises goosebumps: it is the famous Mozart string quartet K.421, and it
>>is the ONLY quartet in the famous ten that is set in the minor mode.
>
>My ClassiCat database shows both K. 173 and K. 575 in D minor, K. 421 in
>A major.???

The so called ten celebrated start with K387.  K421 is in D Minor whatever
you're database says.  The A major is K464.  The set of six that include
387 & 421 are the quartets that he dedicated to Haydn and they marked a
very significant development in his quartet writing, much influenced by
his study of Haydn's Op 33 set.  Mozart's 'Haydn' set in turn, I feel, had
an equal influence on Haydn's later quartets (Op 76 onwards).

Paul Silverthorne
Hear samples from my latest CD 'Invocations' at:
http://blackboxmusic.com/flash/detail.lasso?releaseID=10126&catnum=BBM1058&page=audio