From:
Dave Harman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 May 2002 05:40:42 -0700
Tim Mahon wrote:

>Remind me, if you would, why I should admire Gould? I'm listening to
>Book One of the Well-tempered Clavier on Sony, and the playing is luminous
>-- awe-inspiring, in fact.  But the accompanying humming is driving me
>nuts.

I have long held the same opinion.  His humming, and - at times - outright
singing - create a distraction which even the mastery and beauty of his
performance cannot cover.

Surely, there must be a way to digitally process the recordings and scrub
his vocal "contributions" out of the sound track.

I believe that unless this is done, Gould's legacy will become only a
footnote in recorded music - because people will find themselves unable
to properly appreciate Gould's genius because of the background noise.

Dave Harman
El Paso, TX