From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 May 2002 10:00:59 -0700
Mariana Cirne ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

>I just joined the list.  My name is Mariana, I'm 31, Brazilian (from Rio,
>but currently living elsewhere),

Welcome.  Or should I say "Boa vinda a lista"? (If it's wrong, blame
altavista...:-)

>and unfortunately not a musician.

There are plenty of non- (and failed) musicians on this list.  A love of
music is all that's really required.

>...  I myself played the piano, guitar and double bass (which is by far
>my favorite instrument), but the never had the discipline to take it
>seriously.

Same three instruments I became mediocre on myself.

>Needless to say, I'm a fan of Gary Karr's - his interpretation of
>Schubert's Arpeggione Sonata is simply the best I ever heard.

Gary lives in Victoria and I know him quite well; he is a delightful chap.
I'll pass on your words to him.

>I also have a special fondness for Bottesini, Dragonetti, Haydn's Trumpet
>Concerto and all things Bach.

Have you heard GK's recording of the first 3 cello suites? You can find
details (and sample it) at his web site, www.garykarr.com

deryk barker
([log in to unmask], http://www.camosun.bc.ca/~dbarker)