From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Aug 2002 11:19:26 -0500
Bernard Chasan wrote:

>Dave Lewis wrote:
>
>>For instance Scandinavian music.  I have recently been listening to
>>Sallinen, Merikanto, Holmboe, Rautavaara and Alfven.  There is some great
>>music within this group of composers but I cannot remember a UK performance
>>of music by any of them.
>
>Holmboe is a fine symphonist - I am particularly fond of the eighth but
>there are thirteen or fourteen to try.  You might also try Norgard (third
>symphony) and Ruders(second symphony).
>
>I cannot remember a Boston area performance either - pathetic!!!

I have a wonderful tape of a BSO performance of the Sallinen Sinfonia;
Okko Kamu conducted 1 March 1974.  While it was not the most substantive
piece I ever encountered, I was overwhelmed by the beauty of the music.
Can't say that the commercial recording had the same impact on me.  It was
not my first introduction to his music, but it was the first work of his
that caused me to explore more of his music.

Karl