From:
Janos Gereben <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Aug 2002 07:00:00 CHARSET="WINDOWS-1252"
A kind gentleman, a fine music and art critic, a good person - Byron Belt,
formerly of the Chicago Opera and then for many years, of the Newhouse News
Service, died yesterday in San Francisco.

Here's the message that just arrived:

   "Dear Friends, Although I am guilty of not keeping some of you up to
   date or aware that Byron was ill, I know you deserve being advised
   of his passing at 12:55 pm yesterday, Saturday afternoon.  After more
   than three weeks in and out of Intensive Care, he was allowed to come
   home Wednesday evening, and was visibly overjoyed at being back in
   our new apartment, enjoying the marvellous view of the East Bay hills,
   San Mateo bridge, and the landing-lights of planes coming into SFO.
   He had truly wonderful, caring attention from a team of Hospice
   workers, visiting nurses and several care-givers.  They also showered
   me with sincere and much appreciated solicitude and love.  Byron was
   comatose the last 24 hours or more, but we had the chance to say
   final goodbyes and reaffirm our love for one another on Thursday
   night.

   The Curse of Inanimate Objects still prevails, nonetheless, since
   our computer crashed and burned late yesterday when I tried to send
   this message.  I have had to call personally many who are without
   e-mail, and the strain is beginning to tell on my already raspy voice.
   I am glad not to be singing any time soon, as I would surely have to
   cancel.  Your immeasurable outpouring of love and wishes have certainly
   helped me keep my equilibrium....thank you, thank you, thank you!
   Joe [[log in to unmask]]"

Janos Gereben/SF