From:
Ray Osnato <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Aug 2002 21:35:27 EDT
Kevin Sutton writes:

>The Busoni's are highly edited.  For an uncluttered urtext edition, Henle
>is the only way to go.  Best quality paper and binding as well.

I agree, Henle are the best for urtext editions, but it would seem like
the teacher would like SOME type of editor's guidance for their student,
or they would not have recommended the Busoni edition.  If some help is
needed from an editor, try the editions prepared by Bela Bartok.  They
contain very tasteful suggestions for performing the 48 on the modern
piano, including, phrasing, fingering, pedaling and they add a few notes
here and there.  All of Bartok's textural changes are given in small notes
so the performer can either adopt them or discard them without wondering
what was Bach and what was Bartok.  Publisher is Edition Musica Budapest.
It is the edition I used growing up when I chose to play Bach unhyphenated.

Ray Osnato