From:
James Tobin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Jul 2002 20:30:25 -0500
Robert Summers writes:

>Recently I was having my hair cut and I was astonished that my barber
>was listening to classical music.  I complimented him on the music and
>he said that he listens to this kind of music to "relax".  My hope is
>this is not the direction we are going in to attract new listeners.

Personally, I listen for excitement, but classical music expresses the
full range of human feelings and moods, and fills a wide range of needs,
so more power to your barber.  New listeners will be attracted or repelled
by whatever they hear, depending on their own personal dispositions at the
time.  At best, you can encourage potential listeners simply to be open to
new experience.

Jim Tobin