From:
Denis Fodor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Jul 2002 15:17:19 -0400
Steve Schwartz <[log in to unmask]> in a posting that's a tour de force
writes, in part:

>As for Hampson's performances...
>Sometimes he can ruin a song from trying too hard for an over-fussy, even
>corny Interpretation, but not here.  The songs serve the singer less than
>the singer serves the songs (try saying that fast three times), and it's
>all to the good.

I've experienced him performing several times, and, yes, he is a
_performer_.  As far as the voice goes, he has always seemed to me to
have a ll the requisite equipment.  He's America's grand contribution
of the Kammersaenger tradition--in everything but a certain intractible
ebullience.  To put it baldy, there are times when he can't seem to help
showing off.  Or,trying it another way, he has trouble gauging when
enough's enough.

Regarding the posting's most noteworthy remarks about vocalizing poetry,
the rule of thumb I've come to like most, is, if you must write for the
voice, then keep it simple and repetitive.

Denis Fodor