From:
Margaret Mikulska <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 May 2002 03:52:14 -0400
Arri Bachrach wrote:

>Jeffrey Hall wrote:
>
>>Kapell (RCA) is supposed to be excellent.  I love his Chopin 3rd piano
>>sonata, which Julliard piano professor David Duval claims is the best one
>>on record.
>
>can't help commenting about "Professor" Duval- please don't believe
>everything he says ...

I would say: don't believe anything he says, just in case.  His
recent book on the canon of western music is a disaster.  It is beyond
comprehension that somebody so ignorant about the history of western music
actually teaches at Juilliard.  (Does he really?) The number of errors and
mistakes, ignorant, clueless statements, repetitions of myths debunked
several decades ago is staggering.  A first-year music student should get
an F and a kick in the butt for saying 10% of the nonsense that Duval
showers his readers with.  There is no excuse for publishing such trash.

-Margaret Mikulska