From:
"Richard A. Ujvary" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 May 2002 09:27:16 -0400
Hmmmm...Mr. K a scientist, eh? Apriori we've got him pegged with the
focus of his musical analyis.  If he's a good one, I'd think that if
he did some analyis the thrust of his work would conform to the rigors
of scientific experiment where you'd have variables and they would be
measureable into discrete values.  Here "objectivity" is at a premium.
There is no place for how he "feels" about the works.  Whatever his
opinions about the music has to be set aside in order to keep the integrity
of the experiment.  However, as a regular Klatuan off on a nice galaxy
jaunt, his approach would be much different since he'd be coming at the
music much differently.  This difference now has to incorporate that
"subjectivity" that was left at the door when he was the scientist.  I
think it would be very difficult to believe that in both personal states
that the approach and understanding of music would be the same.  It's the
emotional state that's critical when listening to music.....that's where
subjectivity rears its head.

Rich